49-Cent Friday: Men’s Shirt Refashion

I am so excited about this week’s refashion!

The main reason I’m so excited is this little piece of awesome right here…

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

hrmm?

Ok, so I know I don’t exactly look excited in the picture, but get a look at this…

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Oooh custom tailored!

Pretty cool huh? But that’s not all! Check this out…

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Did you see that?

Not only was the fabric of this bad boy woven in Italy, (ooh Italy!) but take a closer look…

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

$175.00!!??!?!!! WHAT??!!?!??

Now obviously I didn’t shell out a hundred and seventy-five smackaroos for a measly shirt, (Hopefully you figured that out by the title of this post.) but how cool is it that I was able to score a brand-stinkin’ new, custom-tailored men’s dress-shirt, that originally cost $175.00 for a mere .49? And it’s PINK!!!! (Pink is my favorite color by the way!)

To start this refashion, I first removed that pesky pocket, using my handy dandy seam-ripper.

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Pesky pocket removed.

Then I cut the shirt in two, right at the armpits.

Men's shirt refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Chop!

I decided that I wanted to make a skirt out of the bottom half of the shirt.

I could’ve just gathered the top and sewn on an elastic waistband, (like I did here) but I decided to make it more fitted instead.

To achieve this, I pulled the fabric over my dress form and made a large back pleat…

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Back pleat

To make the pleat, I pinched the excess fabric from the right and left of the middle of the back, and brought each sides to the middle, pinned them down and sewed. (Hopefully the picture made that make more sense.)

I then made smaller pleats (or darts) on either side of the front panels as well…

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Pleats or darts?

To finish the refashion, I folded the top (raw edge) down twice and hemmed…

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Ooh! Almost done! 🙂

Now all that’s left to do is to de-wrinkle that puppy…

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Wrinkles be gone!

Drum roll please…

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

Men's Shirt Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

So there you have it!

This was my first time sewing darts. (I made pleated ruffles for my Ugly Coat Refashion, which were similar, but there was more room for error with those pleats.)

I especially love the material, it’s 100% cotton, but it’s so silky and comfortable. Who knows, maybe it has to do with the fact that it was woven in Italy? 🙂

Enjoy your weekend everyone and happy refashioning!

~Jen

If you want to see a similar men’s dress shirt to skirt refashion, check out this post from Tara at All Glorious.

P.S. I recently posted a picture on the Diary of a MadMama Facebook page, that gave a sneak peek at the next project I’m working on.

Here’s a sneak peek for the rest of you…

Refashion | Diary of a MadMama

This is a HUGE skirt!

I found this hideous thing in a “FREE” box at a garage sale a long time ago. I know I wouldn’t have paid for it. I’m not big on the colors. With the amount of material, hideous or not, I couldn’t pass up on free. (I’m cheap thrifty that way.) I have a great idea for it’s new purpose, but for now you’ll just have to stay tuned. 🙂

This post is linked up to…

Wunderbar


Dragonfly Designs

Keep Calm

Sweet Benanna & Sam
Gingerly Made
This Silly Girl's Life
Advertisements

24 thoughts on “49-Cent Friday: Men’s Shirt Refashion

    • That thought crossed my mind too. The curious part is that it’s fuzzy and thick, but the backing is rough and scratchy and not comfortable at all. It seems like it would be too warm and uncomfortable to wear over a swimsuit. But who knows? I was able to get quite a bit of elastic from it and some velcro for another use! 🙂

      • It looks like a ginormous wrap around skirt, because of the elastic waistband and there were two sets of velcro to keep it closed, but I never thought that maybe it could have been used for something else. hmm?
        :/

    • The main “tag” was embroidered in. That’s a good idea though. I was thinking of saving the top part (that has the tag) for a future refashion I had in mind. I should’ve perhaps done it all in one post, but procrastinator that I am, waited until the last minute Thursday night to start my Friday refashion and didn’t get it done until 12:30 and then started typing it up. :/ oops. So I’ll just have to reference it back to this post when I finish it. (if it works out that is!) 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s