So easy in fact, that when my daughter needed a pair of brown leggings to go with a few tunics and dresses that she has, rather than buy her a brand new pair, I decided a refashion was the way to go!
I found this long-sleeved, brown t-shirt for 49-cents at Mel Trotter and thought it would be a great top for myself.
However, when I got home and tried it on, it was WAY too tight.
So tight in fact, that I wasn’t about to show you a picture of me in it for the “before pic”
(That would just be indecent).
My daughter kindly modeled it for me instead.
As you can see, it would make a great dress for her (with just a few alterations), but she needed brown leggings (for all of her other shirts and dresses) much more than she needed ANOTHER dress!
Luckily (for me) she had a pair of black leggings (that I also recently found for 49-cents) that fit her PERFECTLY!
So perfectly in fact, that I knew they would make the perfect pattern.
I was pretty pumped when I saw who made these velvet leggings:
That’s right, Vera Wang! Too cool.
Anywho, I began by turning the black leggings inside out and folding them in half…
I wanted to use the sleeves as the bottom legs of the leggings so that I wouldn’t have to worry about finishing the cuffs…
I cut the sleeves off to see how much of the legs they would cover…
Then I folded the rest of the shirt in half, and placed it over the top portion of the leggings to cut around:
I left extra space at the waist to make room for the waistband.
I stitched up the small leg section of the upper (shorts) portion of the leggings first:
After that was all stitched together, I turned the sleeves right-side out and slid them into the shorts portion (so that the pieces would be right-sides together)…
After stitching those together, I pinned the shorts pieces in place…
…then stitched them together:
Then I folded it over again and measured it against the width of elastic to make sure the elastic would fit through the casing:
Once I saw that it was the perfect size, I stitched down the casing and made an opening for the elastic to go through…
After pushing the elastic through the casing, I overlapped the two ends…
…and then stitched them together:
Then I stitched the opening closed:
And voilá, all done!
Here’s a closeup:
Now my little sweetie finally has something to wear with all of this:
She’s quite happy with them, and I’m happy that she’s happy!
Speaking of being happy; you have 9 more days to enter my GIVEAWAY!
You can enter here everyday now through Sunday, February 9th to maximize your chance of winning.
And don’t forget all the cool things you can win:
Have a fantastic weekend!