Here we are, already at week three in the Refashion Runway Competition! Can you believe it?
I had a pretty hard time finding an outfit to copy for this week’s theme! I scoured through countless magazines, perused several fashion sites, and FINALLY found a look I not only liked, but knew it was something I’d actually wear!
This Anthropologie blouse costs a whopping $78.00! Can you believe it? And the shorts another $68.00! That’s a total of $146.00 for 1 stinkin’ outfit!
Although I like this look, I definitely don’t like it enough to shell out that kind of cash!
Well, it’s a good thing I won’t have to!
I got both of these shirts for 49-cents (plus tax) at my local thrift store, and the pants came out of my closet. I’ve had them for a very long time and never wore them much.
To begin this refashion, I first seam-ripped the collar and sleeves from the beige top, and then cut off the button placket.
Then I gently removed the collar and button placket from the purple paisley men’s dress shirt.
I attached the button placket from the purple shirt to the beige shirt (pinning right sides together).
I cut off the excess material from the button placket and then got busy stitching it together…
Then I pinned on and attached the collar, and hemmed the arm holes.
(Sorry for the bad lighting, it was getting pretty late.)
After finishing my new top, I got started refashioning my pants.
I started by trying them on and placing a pin where I wanted the length to be.
Using a quilting ruler and a piece of chalk, I marked from one pin to the other in a straight line…
After cutting off one of the pant legs, I used the cut-off portion to use as a guide for the other leg.
Once both legs were evenly cut, I cut a small triangle out of a paper bag (to use as a pattern), and traced it onto the outer side of each pant leg…
Once the triangles were cut out, I pinned and hemmed the legs, and then got busy looking through my button stash…
I couldn’t find 6 matching buttons that looked like the buttons on the Anthropologie shorts, but I did find 6 very similar, vintage ones!
After stitching those puppies in place, I was all done!
I’m pleased with how this refashion turned out! I was in need of new summer shirts and shorts, and this refashion was surprisingly easy, which is always a bonus!
My daughter wants me to make a similar pair of shorts for her, and my youngest son thinks the shirt looks like it has a built-in tie, and wants me to make him a “boy version!” What a compliment! 😉
So with what cost me $1.04 (including tax), I was able to refashion a copycat version of this $146.00 Anthropologie outfit! That’s a savings of $144.96! Woohoo!
Make sure to check out the other copycat refashions at the Refashion Runway Competition, and vote for your favorite!
Have a great weekend!